Monday, September 24, 2012

Not today

The day I left to travel to New York to see my grandfather's film at the New York Museum of Jewish Heritage, the envelope arrived.   I expected a lot and was in some ways scared to open it in case it failed to reveal the SS commander I am looking for.
I did open it and carefully laid out the prison files on the kitchen bench.  Yes, I was looking at the 1944 prison files of my grandparents. Very official looking, tidy, methodical and planned.
I looked carefully through the documents, which were written in a combination of German and Polish with some illegible script. I could see the false names under which they were arrested, crossed out later with their birth names.   I could see the dates of their arrest, the address of the saw mill in Suchedniow, and, the dates of their release into the Radom Ghetto.   I could see official looking "permission" documents to do certain things, signed by someone representing the Gestapo.   I did see various sets of signatures, but new I would need professional  help from someone specializing in the history and people of that time to match these signatures, if possible, to prosecuted war criminals.   So, I'm waiting again.....



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Add your comments!